Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Crock Pots... not just a way to cheat

It's been a busy week here, with working, spending time with Ross' family during his grandma's move, and car shopping. Yes, car shopping! I've picked the car, so now it's just a matter of finding THE car. Tuesday night we had to return the one I'd taken on an extended test drive, so I put together what I'm calling a chili stew that morning in the crock pot and turned it on low for about six hours. Some people seem to think crock pots are a way of cheating, because it's just so easy, but I don't consider it that way, especially with this dish.

This was my second try at this soup, the first fairly successful, the second something I hope I can replicate each time. It's based on a "Mexican Cheese Soup" recipe from my crock pot cookbook, with plenty of variation. I wanted to try some chunk stew meat I found at the store instead of ground beef, and I wanted a variety of beans., plus I don't care for tomatoes and I avoid corn from a can as much as possible now.

Here's a rough estimate of what I DID use:

1 to 1.5 pounds stew meat
1 cup frozen corn
1 big can of kidney beans (I think about 30 oz.)
1 can black beans
1 can mild Rotel with lime and cilantro
about 1 diced jalapeno (Either use the pickled kind in a jar or be sure to remove the seeds from a fresh one. That's the especially spicy part!)
 1/8 block of Velveeta

Side note about the cheese: the first time, I used string cheese... oddly enough, string cheese doesn't melt. It was disgusting. I don't recommend ever putting it in a crock pot. Trust me on this one. I don't want to have to give details. So this time I used Velveeta, and I learned it also doesn't melt incredibly well unless you're there to stir it, so even though I haven't yet tried it, my advice is to add it last so you can stir it in.

So anyway, everything but the cheese goes right into the crock pot (do NOT drain any of the beans), and then it's time to season it. I tried to make sure the meat itself got a little extra seasoning, so do that first or last, then mix it into the other ingredients. Generous salt and pepper, onion powder and some garlic are my go-to spices. I also used a little steak seasoning, probably a teaspoon of chili powder and some paprika to add depth without much more heat. The chili powder is the main place you can adjust the spice level to what you like. Mine had lingering heat but was never overpowering. I also used a few dashes of worcestershire, which I use a lot, mostly because I love the way it smells, and I like to believe it adds to the meaty flavors. Lime juice would be a great addition here if you have any.

Then, five or six hours on low and you're good to go. The flavors simmer together all day, creating a rich and hearty stewed chili that reaches a beautiful thickness, with bursts of color from the corn and jalapeno. This is where you can stir in the Velveeta, or just serve on top with a dollop of sour cream. That reminds me, I should start learning some fancy plating skills.

Until then, however, here's what you have to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment